A townhouse built by a developer in the 1880's renovated in 1910 in a classical style with a limestone base, engage portico and the removal of the typical New York City stoop.
Our international client asked to refresh the interiors for a residence that would see a great deal of entertaining. Cocktail parties for 200 to sit-down dinners for 30 everything needed to go smoothly. A dumbwaiter to the Butler's Pantry, a dedicated service stair were introduced for flawless catering and an elevator to allow easy movement to the roof garden for evening cocktails were installed . Storage for silver, china and linens were created to hold the client's extensive collections.
A significant portion of the the design work hinged on altering the existing volume of built space to create better shaped rooms and working within the allowable zoning regulations to do that. An illegal rear addition was removed and working closely with landmarks and zoning the rear exterior was considerably re-worked creating staggered terraces for more light penetration and more usable exterior space.
Architecture by Timothy Bryant Architect
Code review and expediting by Agouti Construction Consulting, LLC